Monday 26 August 2013

Weekend Recap

This weekend we ventured to Sudbury to see a concert featuring Monster Truck and The Sheepdogs. Awesome music - not so awesome fans/organizers. We had purchased general admission tickets so we could be on the grass, dancing and hanging out. Apparently Summerfest is a "no dancing allowed" event. We were told -  by volunteers - to sit down so people behind us could see (they were sitting in lawn chairs). Seeing as I like to avoid conflict and confrontation, I would've probably said "oh sorry sorry sorry", and quickly found a place to sit. Thankfully, a friend of our was a little less typically Canadian and responded with "no, I won't sit down, this is a rock concert!". People didn't like that too much. To make a long story short, we ended up not caring about people behind us, we danced, and Matt (and I) waited for someone to say something to me so he (or I) could start a real fight. Everyone kept their cool, no one got in a fight, and we got to dance (much to the chagrin of people behind us).
How does this have anything to do with food? It doesn't. Well, kind of. It has more to do with lifestyle. In my humble opinion, a few of those lawn chair sitters could've used a few hours on their feet! And, as non-sitters, we were delegated to the back (until we found some empty seats later in the show), where we wouldn't "bother" anyone. I know this is rare - at most concerts in big cities everyone is standing, sitters would be trampled. But to have volunteers of the festival encourage sitting and laziness? Unbelievable.
Anyways, now I will tell you about food. It was hard to stay bang on track as we ate at a few restaurants along the way. I did pack kale chips and frozen grapes for the road, but those were taken over by the boys (who surprised themselves and me when they asked for more kale chips), and I wasn't going to say no. So the snacks didn't last as long as planned - but that's ok, Matt now eats kale. For dinner and for breakfast the next day, I did my best to stick to protein and veggies. I didn't do too badly, but there were some "empty fillers" in there (rye toast, pita). Even at the concert, when everyone was grabbing their drinks, I did pretty good! I would usually have a fantastic Saturday night and a not-so-good Sunday morning if going to a concert, but I opted to be DD, and had one drink during the concert. Waterloo Brewing Co. has an awesome vodka cooler made with stevia, and it's gluten free. Super sweet? Yes. Best thing I could find? Also yes.
Last night we stopped in Bruce Mines for some dinner. It was also raining like crazy, so a good time to stop. We had the Indian buffet at the Esso station. SO GOOD. Full of rice, unfortunately. Full of flavour, big time. Now to find a way to eat Indian food without the naan bread and rice and I'll be laughing.
It was a good weekend following a solid week of eating. A few hiccups in the menu, but overall not bad. Here's to another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment